Monday, February 19, 2007

Titles and Other Troubles

First, let me mark the occasion of the passing of my favorite band from contemporary to history. Alas, Audioslave is no more... I'm currently playing their first CD in memoriam.

My crazy idea has managed to gain quite a bit of momentum. I've steadily written an average of a page a day on it this month. I wrote one of the key sequences on Friday morning and it worked out well. The writing took over just enough to improve the story, but not so much that I lost control over it.

One of the main elements of that scene is the explaination of the vitamins that Bridgett has been taking almost every day of her life. Since these vitamins are the major deus ex machina of the story, I started to realize that this might be something to build a title around.

The major transistions of the story are linked to the vitamins in some way. The first major transition is the revelation that these mundane vitamins, which have had an unusual amount of emphasis, are actually a hormone treatment. The second major transition ends with the removal of said vitamins from Bridgett's biochemistry.

At the beginning of the story, Bridgett thinks she's taking the vitamins because she has a Vitamin B-12 deficiency. Because of that, my mind started trying to label the vitamins--something like "Vitamin B" or "Vitamin M." Something that was fake, but still fitting.

Then it hit me. Not "Vitamin M," Vitamin Femme. In a way, it says exactly what's going on without giving the real story away. If this works as a title--and I need some feedback to let me know--I've got a cover image figured out. Show the left side of Bridgett's body from her nose down to her hip; her hand would be outstretched holding a pill in her hand.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I've been thinking about it today, and I think Vitamin Femme works pretty well. It strikes me as the sort of title that would make a person stop when they saw it on the shelves. They'd want to know what it's about, so it would at least get them to read the book jacket and hopefully buy it.

2/19/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home