Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Complaints about Diamond Slippers

A few times in my life, I've felt like a specific person inspired something I've written. The other day, I was speaking with an attractive young lady from the cafe and she said a few things which spurred me to come up with a new short story.

Something in her commenting to me about her morning difficulties, made me take a few pieces of creative thought and patch them together into a short story. This 441 word epic, "Family Matters" (tentative title), is a conversation between the ruler of the world and his stepson. I got the whole thing ironed out from start to finish in less than three hours.

How did I do this? I had little else to do and my creativity collided with some personal thoughts I'd been having. All because of a very simple conversation with someone at work.

Love, lust, loneliness--I don't care what to call it. All I know is that I got some short story work done. Impressive, since one of my goals for 2007 is to write two short stories. More good news: I've already got the plot of the next one finished.

Every time I get on a little kick like this, I try to keep it going. I'd like to, but I'm not quite sure how. I've got (most likely) two of my coworkers swooning over me, a thesis that needs to end, a handful of novels that need to be written, and an apartment that needs to be cleaned.

You might say that it's just another day for me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

That sounds like something I'd love to read. Send it to me when you're done.

1/12/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home