Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Important Writings (A Post Not For The Timid)

I've got a great new idea. It's one of those "put up or shut up" kind of things, taking a line I say in a given situation and running with it. As always, I want to elaborate before I say what the idea is.

As long as I can remember, I've had ideas for stories. Most of them are some sort of fantasy, wether it uses that label or another, such as sci-fi or horror. I think of myself as a science fiction writer, or, more specifically, a biopunk writer. My newest idea even holds true to that.

Still, every once in a while, there comes a story, be it short, long, or a novel, that is given a list of labels. Important. Relevant. Socially conscious. Even though it's not fiction, Silent Spring is a good example because, without it, there'd be no such thing as environmentalism. The original Guess Who's Coming To Dinner? is probably a better example of what I'm thinking, since it is fiction, but deals with a present issue of the time.

I never thought I'd have an idea that would get one of those labels. I never really wanted such an idea, but I'm not one to fight the ideas I get. That's the price of being creative--you take the ideas you get and run with them.

On to the idea. First of all, this thing doesn't have a title, but when it gets one, it has to be a good one. As I'm sure you may have guessed, this thing is going to deal with the gay marriage debate, specifically, my theoretical explaination of why it should be allowed:

I say to people against gay marriage, especially religious types, "How would you feel if one day a bunch of gay people got together, took over, and said you can't get married any more? How would you feel? Basically, I think it's a case of 'Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.'"

The small difference between the setting of this story and the real world is that the only permitted form of marriage is between two women. Which brings me to the next point of the setting. Having watched Children of Men recently (go see it, it's incredible), I've been increasingly interested in the book it was based on. I know this book has a lot more going on in it, mainly the fact that it is built more as a political struggle than a fight for species survival. What I'm going to do, is make the large difference between the world of this story and the real world be a world where males are deemed an obstruction to the continued survival of the species.

Before anyone asks, males aren't being eradicated; they're being diminished, downsized. There is only one purpose for a male in the world of this story: sperm production. Males are in the process of being expunged from society, since the time period will be toward the end of a multi-generational phasing out of the male gender. I haven't determined the full reason behind this yet, but it's a key function of the setting.

Still with me? Good. Now I can tell you the plot. There's a girl who is starting to eye one of her classmates. This girl lives with her grandfather, one of the last free males, and a man of past historical note. This girl, is for all intents and purposes normal, except for the secret that she barely acknowledges, a secret only her grandfather will admit, and then, only in the quietest voice when no one is around. This girl's secret, as I'm sure a few of you have guessed, is that she isn't a girl at all.

But this girl is still drawn to her classmate. And one of that classmate's parents is a government agent who spends all day looking through other people's trash, looking for evidence of unregistered males living outside government control. Naturally, our main character has to deal with the fact that she's attracted to someone who was born from a person who could destroy her life.

In closing, I'd like to point out the pronouns I used to describe the main character. Those are the kinds of pronouns I intend to use through this story--and I assure you there is a reason for doing that.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...you know, that idea sounds crazy enough and interesting enough to work.

1/31/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home