Monday, November 19, 2007

After One Hundred Days

A while back, I gave myself a loose due date to finish a draft of Vitamin F. I gave myself 100 days to finish a draft by. Well, the 100 days ended on Saturday and I still don't have a completed draft. Instead, I've got a few other things that I think will be helpful in the long term.

First of all, I've assembled 21 complete chapters, for a total of 233 pages of completed text. I'm around halfway through the plot, as well as the material I have generated since February 1. I've had to stop no less than three times before now to write an entire chapter from scratch; these chapters have been among the finest I've written.

I've assembled a good group of Beta readers. There are seven of them in total that have provided me with some degree of feedback, if only on the first couple of chapters. Just to reveal the demographics a little, there are two men and five women. The age range starts in the early twenties and goes all the way to the mid-forties. Two readers tear and rip the story to shreds, although they do so in different ways. Two read the story casually, much in the way most readers will read novels. Two have given me only the most basic of feedback, not quite tearing it to shreds, but not reading it casually either. The last has given me a wide range of perspectives to think about while writing.

Being on such a creative track has gotten me thinking about The Golden Hollow again, something I hadn't forgotten about in my mind, even though I'd done little writing on the subject in some time.

I've learned that in order to sell this thing, I don't have to play my hand. Only the men who are reading Vitamin F know the plot twist. One of the women is about to find out, but that's only because of how far she's progressed through the story. Over half of the readers don't yet know what this book is specifically about, but they are still enjoying it.

In about a week or so, I'll probably report on how that plot twist is recieved. I'm definately looking forward to that.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home