Saturday, October 13, 2007

Female POV, Male voice

Despite all the odd trappings of Vitamin F, it's supposed to be a story about women, following women during their lives. One of my beta readers differs with me on this fact.

Lyndsey said that she felt the dialogue was a little stiff and a few cliches were used. She didn't say which ones. She was very intrigued by the plot (of the first two chapters). Her response, in a word, was postive. She asked me to send her more.

It was her explanation that, even though she was reading about a female character, she could sense the male writer behind the scenes. She doesn't know anything about the plot twist either. All she knows is that I made some subtle word choices that continuously remind her that "A GUY IS WRITING THIS."

I just wish I knew what those subtle word choices were. That way, I could make the audience forget about me and focus completely on the characters and story.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I read it I try to point it out to you when it sound like something Len would say and no Bridget. Is she reading the same ones I did or revised versions?

10/14/2007  
Blogger LEN! said...

She is reading revised versions. However, this is more a problem of general male perspective trying to describe a female mindset.

The only real way around it would be for me to live as a woman until I'm done writing this--and that's just not going to happen.

10/14/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home