Saturday, August 25, 2007

Notes on Progress

I came to an odd realization today, one that I feel obligated to share. I know that this is a thought that has influenced my writing (especially Vitamin F) and will continue to do so.

In the movie Children of Men, Chiwetel Ejiofor plays a revolutionary, waiting for "The Uprising" to occur. During this conflict, all of society's outcasts will band together to overthrow the government for ostracizing them.

Today I saw a former member of a federal civil rights committee explain the moral, fair reasons why homosexuals should not be allowed to marry. Someone who is supposed to define civil rights was explaining why one group of people should be allowed to do something, while another group should not.

I'm trying to keep religion out of this one, but this goes back to my mindset on the issues that made me come up with Vitamin F. I'm doing this, in part, because I remember what I learned as a child--do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I do my best to stick to that rule, which I do understand isn't easy, but it's still right.

Anyway, I saw footage from a seminar today that made me think that our society is one tiny bit closer to fully ostracizing homosexuals, which in turn brings us one tiny bit closer to "The Uprising." I hope I'm wrong, but I'm going to err on the safe side. I'm going to use Vitamin F to stop the problem by giving readers a future to avoid.

In the immortal words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger CalvinPitt said...

That's pretty depressing about that member of the civil rights committee.

I had thought homosexuals were gaining more acceptance in America. Maybe it's a more liberal attitude by the people in the media, so we see more of it, and this is a sort of backlash?

It really would be nice if people could live and let live.

8/25/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, well, to use an old joke...

"Mr. President! The gays are revolting!"
"They've always been revolting. What's the problem?"
*facepalm* "Well, yes, but now they're rebelling!"

Seriously, the day the gays start a revolution is they day they run out of couture, hair-care products and lube. And even if they did, what are they gonna do, waggle their wrists at us? At least Rocky would be happy, he'd get his chance to shoot a few of the bastards. I wouldn't worry about it.

8/25/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad put it best; they should be allowed to be as miserable as the rest of the world. Besides, who are they hurting?

8/26/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rather open-minded, Jack, from the guy who nearly has a conniption fit when faced with the thought of slash pairings in Kingdom Hearts or some such...

8/26/2007  
Blogger LEN! said...

A willingness to try to accept isn't the same as not getting weirded out by something. My whole point is that we should live and let live. I'm not asking anyone to go out and join the Gay/Straight Alliance or any similar organization. I just want people to let others live in peace.

That and I want to present a severe repercussion of not letting people live in peace.

8/27/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why should we let THEM live in peace? When they go all around wagging their damned perversion in everyone's faces through TV shows like that damned Queer Eye show, and flamers and all the other shit they cause? They aren't something that's just a little different, that you can let slide, they're unnatural. I'm surprised we've put up with them as long as we have.

8/27/2007  
Blogger LEN! said...

When I was growing up, I tried to see people of minorities as people first and minorities as little as possible. Why? It's a matter of fairness and respect. With few exceptions, a person isn't defined by a single detail, but by the sum of many actions.

Jonathan, I am a bit disturbed by your latest comment. There's a distinct implication of eradication there. I guess my real response is if you don't like those shows, those "flamers," or any of that "other shit," stay away from it. No one is making you take part in anything.

In my experience, people are people; give them a chance and they can be cool. I've met several gay people and very few of them have been "flamers." I've only met one or two people in my life that I've thought should be gotten rid of and they were straight; you don't see me acting like we should actually get rid of straight people.

8/28/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the last place I thought I would see this debate...

And I agree with Len.

8/28/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home