Saturday, July 14, 2007

The Value of a Number

A few months ago, I had dinner with legendary Batman writer/editor Denny O'Neil. Those assembled had a wonderful discussion about writing, literature, comics, science fiction--all the things I usually talk to people about. During the discussion, I briefly mentioned that I was working on a novel. After asking how far I'd gotten, I gave him the page count (was then 35,000), which he thought sounded like quite the accomplishment.

He then relayed that the average modern novel has between 75,000 and 125,000 words. I'm at 73,200 words on Vitamin F.

I'm almost there, almost at the level to make for true novel length. At least, according to a published author I am.

In similar news, I've officially put together "Chapter 1." I'm assembling a group of what Jim Bitcher calls "beta readers" to look over it. I'm going to wait until I've got more chapters set up before I get a full compliment of beta readers to go over it. Right now, I've got two, with another person ready to read whatever I'll give her.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home