Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Great Achievements

There come times in everyone's lives when they feel like they've done something truly worthwhile. Depending upon their personality, the accomplishment could matter to one person or to one billion. It's all a matter of personal perspective.

Running down half a basketball court to make a layup in front of a crowded arena.

Giving a speech to a community group, letting them know what recycling really is and how it really works.

Showing someone compassion in such a way, it literally gives them life.

There's a broad range of things that could apply as a great achievement, but to creative types such as myself, it's a lot harder to find something that will satisfy. Our great accomplishments are going to tend to be those things that only we can enjoy. While people might spend hours with something artistic, the artist--the creator--will have spent days, if not longer, with it.

I told Denny O'Neil at the convention that I'd written 200 pages on a book, which he thought was a step in the right direction. Of course, 200 pages is an estimation, not an exact value. The exact value as of 3PM Central time, May 1st, is 193 pages.

I noticed at the end of March that I'd cranked out around 60 pages a month, 120 pages over two months. I wanted to get at least 180 pages if it was possible by the end of April. I shot out an extra 13 to make things that much better.

Bridgett's journey to find her place in the world (hers, not ours) has a lot of detail to it already. And even though Commander's battled rank along similar lines, I'm starting to wonder if I may have already written more about Bridgett. Don't get me wrong, I've got a lot of Commander stuff stored in my skull, but that doesn't replace the simple accomplishment of having written 193 pages of a novel.

It's one of, if not the single greatest achievement of my life. Every day I write more on it will be the greatest achievement of my life. Even after I move on to something else, each time I write something new and push forward, it's the greatest thing I've ever done.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home