Thursday, March 29, 2007

Title Reassessment--March 2007

I'd said previously that I thought of the title Vitamin Femme to describe the exploits of Bridgett, genetically deficient citizen of a future world populated almost entirely by homosexual women. I ran this title by a few people and, while they approved, they also voice concern that I would gather the "wrong audience" with such a title.

In all fairness, the audience for this story is predominantly female itself. I think of women who read odd literary books, as well as dabble in the reaches of science fiction. Women such as these are the most likely audience for the story I intend to tell.

The biggest criticism of the title as listed above comes from the word "femme." There is a connotation coming with that word that implies subcultural context. While I do intentionally touch upon some of these subcultures with this story, I can't limit the story to those confines alone. This is part of the reason why I developed the investigator character, Oriane--to provide mainstream audiences with something more recognizable.

Also, I should note that there is another fine line I have to avoid crossing comes from the codename some of my friends have given this project: SNIKT. There's an odd reference there and I won't explain it in detail. I will say that, much like Wolverine's claws, external organs really shouldn't go *snikt* in sudden, comical ways.

This isn't supposed to be a joke and it isn't supposed to be some subculture thing. As functional as it is, I can't really use the title I thought of. However, I can use something similar...

So how does Vitamin F sound? Granted, I'm sure you know what the "F" stands for, but I think that it's much more mysterious this way. This new title touches upon all the same notes as the other one, as well as making a scientific reference.

Years ago, there was a Vitamin F. This substance was found to be in many food that people ate--and still eat today--and was labelled "F" due to its presence in many fatty tissues. Today, we call these compounds "fatty acids." So, in science, Vitamin F is a label describing a physical compound that in a completely inappropriate category.

Vitamin F. What do you think?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger sirilovelove said...

Hi!
I'm glad to visit your blog.
Are you a writer?
I like to read cartoon books very much.
I'm Thai. [Do you know Thailand?]
I hope you visit my blog.

3/29/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh lord, you mean nurse snikt dont you? How do the guys get from your story to THAT? Anyway, yes, Vitamin F does sound a little more mysterious, but I don't know if it might confuse people. Or maybe I'm just being nonsensical. I dunno.

3/29/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vitamin F sounds grand..
Femme, I bet, has been used a load before.
Also, it sounds like a rather interesting book... it is going to be a book, yes? 0.o

Anyways, good luck on it. If it ever comes out, or when it does- I will be sure to look for it.

4/06/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home