Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Goals and Rewards

Last week, I started a countdown. I gave myself one hundred days to get a draft of Vitamin F put together. That means I've got to get the core story put down, as well as assembled into chapters. Nothing can be left out; it's all got to come together. I've got until November 17th to meet that goal.

Let's say I meet that goal. There should be some sort of reward, or at least a celebration to mark the occasion. I think back to the opening scene of the movie Misery. James Caan's character finishes writing a book, has a cigarette and a glass of champagne. A simple celebration.

I've got a different idea, brought on by going to my class reunion. The final part of the reunion was making a trip to a nightclub called "Scooters." Strobe lights, faint cigarette smoke, dancing, drinking, all the usual things.

Here's where I start talking about beautiful women again. I saw a woman close to my age. She was between 5'8" and 5'10" with long legs, nice breasts, and a lovely face (I saw her face last). Her hair, god her hair, it was a soft auburn, balanced right between red and brown; her hair ran halfway down her back. So what if she drank? So what if she smoked--hell, she stood around proving that holding a cigarette can make a woman just a little bit sexier.

If this had been taking place somewhere closer to me, I'd have talked to her, maybe even danced with her. But I used distance as an excuse not to go talk to her--which was dumb since several of my old classmates knew this woman. It's in the past, so I'm not going to worry about it.

However, I had the insane thought that, once I get that draft of Vitamin F finished, I should go to one of the clubs around here and make up for my mistake. I'm not saying that I will or won't find a nice girl to talk to, but it wouldn't hurt to try. If nothing else, I can always use the topic of "I've just finished the first draft of my novel" to stir up some conversation.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a plan. You can do it! =D

8/15/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, getting out and experiencing life? I wish I'd have thought to recommend that one to you. ;) Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Bruce

8/15/2007  
Blogger CalvinPitt said...

Go for it man. Carpe Diem! Or Carpe Nachtem, as the case may be.

8/15/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home