Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Editing Sex Scenes

In my history of writing, I've written two sex scenes. The first was a scene from Ashes of War that I put together last summer. The other is a key scene from Vitamin F, a scene that has been read by two other people now.

I don't like writing about sex. I feel like I'm describing something cheesy and stupid. I feel dumb for having written it. I know that it's actually solid writing, but I just don't believe in those scenes. For me, sex is an imaginary concept, nothing more than an expresion of lust.

I can deal with having written these scenes well enough. Hearing my words being read by someone else is another matter. One of my beta readers reviewed some of the text with me over the phone. I felt like it was all a big joke, even though that wasn't the case.

Keeping in mind my inherent hesitations on the subject, I'm fairly sure I'm going to dodge writing any more sex scenes for the forseeable future. It wasn't an experience I was pleased with, so unless it's vital to the story, from now on, I'm going to keep away from it.

Less screwing around. More blowing shit up.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger CalvinPitt said...

That's the way! Your characters require no lovin', because they are like Spider-Man: Action is their reward.

9/27/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home