Friday, October 19, 2007

Oh Really, Swan?

Today's been a banner day for Vitamin F progress.

Lyndsey gave me a few more notes on what she's read. She's even more pleased than she was before with the story and the characters. In an effort to help me, she asked a lesbian friend of hers to look over the first couple of chapters. The result was Lyndsey's friend sent me an author's name for the puposes of finding the right tone for a lesbian character. More on that in a bit.

I still get a lot of accolades for the History class sequences, those quick beats where I reveal the history of this world without going into a great deal of exposition. While putting together a sequence where the instructor talks about the Uprising to some degree, I stumbled upon a couple of things. The first was the name of the first Queen (or her mother, I haven't decided): Nancy Osteen. Nancy Osteen is a historical figure, a woman who went out into a frenzy of battle, methodically conquering North America, one small town at a time. The second thing I figured out came from the following text: "Nancy Osteen wanted her opressors to choke themselves with plague and contamination." When I wrote those words down, I realized the accelerated crash of the male genome was not a natural occurence.

Along that realm of thinking, I was doing some research on the author Lyndsey's friend had suggested: Rita Mae Brown. Aside from her starting her career as a novelist writing a book using a first person lesbian protagonist, Ms. Brown has had a most unique history. She was involved in the civil rights movement to a limited degree, she was one of the more outspoken participants in the feminist movement. She was also involved with a group who launched a feminist newsletter committed to--if you can believe this--gathering women together to isolate themselves from "men and men-loving women." Why? They thought patriarchal society was the source of all oppression.

After a little more digging, I learned that there were quite a few distinguished women that were members of groups with similar goals. A few of these even wanted to make militant efforts to achieve their goals (they've since recanted). I just find it interesting an odd that the outlandish fictional idea I came up with actually has a few real world parallels.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Who knew, right? But then I guess that's true about very story; there's always a grain of truth somewhere.

10/22/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL... Swan...

10/29/2007  
Blogger rabidpixie said...

hi, where is "oh really swan?" from, i find myself saying it only because i got caught up with some rascally friends who would say it constantly.

7/09/2008  
Blogger GtrWizrd said...

It's an Adam Sandler quote from a movie scene where he's playing with toys in a bathtub

11/21/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home