Friday, November 09, 2007

Catching Up With Commander

I've neglected my oldest creation for too long. He's restless, mad, and ready to kick someone's ass. He'd really like to beat the hell out of a villain I called The Controller, but he can't find The Controller.

A few weeks back, I was fooling around with a phrase translation website and I decided to type in "the controller" just to see what would come up. That, and Controller sounds a bit too much like Commander. I don't want these characters to get confused with one another. When I changed the phrase to "the shaper" I came up with something that stuck out at me: Der Former. I found it interesting because the group of people that I had working for The Controller at one time called themselves "the Formers."

That's why Commander should be hunting down Der Former.

Of course, I should tell you how I've recently redesigned Der Former without redesigning him at all. His look was always meant to include a brown cape, which he uses to conceal his armor from view. He's got long brown hair and wears a gold mask. "Wears" is the wrong word now. You can't wear something that's bonded to your skin, literally hammered into place. His armor isn't just to provide him a place to store all his super powers now either--it's a containment shell for all his replaced organs. I had the thought that he should find people with powers, see who's the best, then harvest the appropriate organs so he can improve himself, shape himself into a more perfected being.

I've yet to finish a drawing of the (re)design, but once I do, I'll post a copy of it. This guy is going to be the result of some masochistic science experiement, one that's always a work in progress. Der Former's goals as of late have been refined from "general antagonistic manipulation" to a specific goal of seeing that The Three Rituals of Kadium are prevented from happening.

By the way, this story I've been describing is a planned revision of the first novel I ever wrote. At the time, I gave it the title Life is Pain, but that's gotten dried out over time and I want something better. I'm thinking about a new title, Mind and Machine, to describe some of the basic conflicts that continuously occur throughout Commander's journeys.

My plan at the moment is to include the concept of The Three Rituals of Kadium throughout The Golden Hollow until Kadium actually shows up. I've always wanted this character to have a powerful presence. I'll try to give him that by having a group of his followers try to complete one of the rituals in Mind and Machine, one crazed rogue disciple complete a ritual in the second book, and Kadium can burst free in the third book--maybe I should call that one The Third Ritual.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger CalvinPitt said...

The idea of a trilogy working around these rituals sounds kind of interesting. Would Kadium play a role in the earlier books, say guiding followers through their dreams, with an occasional scene with Kadium making preparations to enter the world, or would it be more of a shadowy figure, known only through lore, spoken of, but not observed?

11/11/2007  
Blogger LEN! said...

That's a good idea, having Kadium preparing to enter the world from the realm he's trapped in. That's something I might play with at some point, but not with that trilogy of books.

Why? Commander's going to be about half-convinced that Kadium's followers are all insane and experiencing some form of mass hysteria.

The trick of pulling all this off will be in sowing the seeds of Kadium for two books. In fact, the way I've got it planned Commander won't realize the climax of book 2 was actually involved with the Kadium plot until The Third Ritual has already happened.

11/12/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home