Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Resource Politics

Do you like space travel?
Do you like surrealism?
Do you like sandworms?
Is your favorite color orange?

If so, then today is your day! The 1984 movie version of Dune (or is that versions?) just got a new "Extended Edition" DVD. I like Dune, it's one of my favorite books. I did see the movie first...

Let me tell you a fun story. As I said, the movie Dune came out in 1984. At the time, I was fairly new to the concept of school, making friends, being a stupid kid. Anyway, I saw the poster for Dune as well as advertisements for it. It had some hype, especially for its time. When stupid genus kids see hype, especially hype with science fiction, they usually say, "I've gotta see that!"

Ever hear how much business that movie did? Well, it cost $45 million to make. During release, it made $27.4 million. That's a failure. Still, it's been on enough rental shelves and made enough TV appearances, that I'm sure it's long since made up that defecit. Doesn't change the fact that it was a bomb, nor does it change the fact that I didn't get to see it.

As the years went by, I saw a few times where it was going to come on TV, or I'd notice it at the movie store, but I still didn't see it.

It wasn't until 6 years ago that I actually got to see the movie for the first time. It was a formative time in my life, when some mental boundaries of mine were rearranging in such a way where I would have a girlfriend for the first time. Dune wasn't something I was ready for as a kid, but when I was 20, I think I was ready for it at that point.

Anyway, I went out and got this new DVD. It's got the original theatrical release on one side (good) and the extended version on the other (oh, boy). No matter which way you may go, I say it's good, complex stuff, which is just fine with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home