Saturday, January 21, 2006

Endings and Connections

About a year ago, I started running a Star Wars role playing game with a group of close friends. After a while, instead of being nice guys, it was decided that we should conquer to galaxy in the name of the Sith. Surprise! Evil campaign! It's been a lot of fun.

Before that, I had ran a Lord of the Rings game for a year. It was the first game I'd ever ran. As fun as that was, it was very chaotic, especially with the unfamiliar rules system the game was based on. We left off on the eve of a massive, epic battle. The way the game was going, I had lost almost all control--not good for the GM. So we didn't finish.

Tonight, we finished our Star Wars campaign. We conquered the galaxy a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away and 4000 years before that. Everyone was quite pleased and enjoyed the experience. For me, in many ways, it felt like finishing a long writing project, maybe a novel or a novella, and hearing from the primary audience that it was good. Of course, at this point, I'm only guessing.

Speaking of writing projects, my enthusiasm for the comic book character Cable has been picking up as of late. In the coming months, Cable's archenemy, Apocalypse will be returning to plague him, as well as the X-Men. Also, a few moments ago, I read that the comic X-Men will be getting a new team lineup. In reverse order as announced by Marvel Editor-In-Chief Joe Quesada: Iceman, Sabretooth, Cannonball, Rogue, Mystique, and Cable. I wonder who's going to be team leader...?

Along similar lines, I was struck with inspiration a few days ago. I thought of a Cable comic story that was effectively a single-issue story. For such an action-oriented character, this story is purely character driven. I don't know what caused it to form in my mind, but I knew when I realized what was going on, that this was something very, very special. It's powerful, emotional stuff. It's the kind of things that should stir debate and discussion, partially because it deals, in part, with that most heavily debated of American issues, abortion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home