Friday, July 15, 2005

Redefining the Tantrum, part 2

I wrote a quick scene a couple of days ago, trying to redo the aforementioned section from scratch. My approach to it was simple--I'll just write that section as though it were it's own story.

I've heard that once something is written in its first draft, a writer has to be willing to change it if the story demands it. This time around, I'm letting that concept rule completely. Sarah, the current iteration of the Tantrum, was originally written as--I'll just come out with it! The character, physically at least, was supposed to look like Sarah McLachlan (I'd just discovered her music when I started writing this story). Underneath, she wasn't. Honestly. I'm not lying.

Sarah, the Tantrum, as a character, hasn't changed for me where her personality is concerned. Her outward appearance, I've decided to change. Instead of being "ageless" and "brunette," I think she's going to look like she's in her late 20s, is going to show off her figure a little more, and is blonde.

Why have I changed her this way? My real point with this story wasn't to make a Sarah McLachlan superhero, it was to make a character who is an iteration of one of two women Commander is/has been in love with. I wanted to draw out that conflict, Commander dealing with a girl he really loves, but he's not sure which one she is. Plus, instead of being put in the position of just a friend, the Tantrum is openly attracted to him, which I deal with.

That's it for now. Watch Battlestar Galactica!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home