Sunday, July 10, 2005

Redefining the Tantrum

Most characters in a comic book-like setting have superhero- or villain-like names. In the first Commander novel that I've written a draft of, one of the key characters is called the Tantrum. It's more of a title used to define this heavenly demon slayer. That's not as weird as half the stuff in that book right now; weird should be expected from a college freshman (what I was when I wrote the novel).

I've been looking at some of that material from Life Is Pain again. The overall story, as insane as it might be, works very well, except for a section right before the last bit of rising action (if you go for that kind of thing) starts. It's a totally subjective conflict and journey through reality and Commander's mind. I know, it's really messed up. The main idea with the Tantrum is that she's on this holy mission which may or may not disrupt who and what Commander is. The sequence I think is weak has Commander dealing firmly with Tantrum's holy mission and how the two of them relate to one another.

This was partially true when I thought of the Tantrum when I was first writing about her, but I think it's even more true now: The Tantrum is an amalgamation of a lot of girls I was close to in my first couple of years in college or before. In the story, Commander always looks at the Tantrum as though he was looking at one of his oldest friends, even though he's just met this woman. I was an evaluation, by Commander, of one of the most basic human experiences, which was denied to him.

I've been trying to remember this character and what makes her work. I realized... well, the past three paragraphs. What that really means, is that this is me assessing several girls I've known and been close to, especially those from years back that I had feelings for. For those of you who have read "The Golden Hollow," you can probably guess the name of one of those girls.

There's a segment in this section where Commander sees another version of one of his friends that the Tantrum reminds him of. When he sees her, she's asleep next to her boyfriend, who is naturally not Commander. He has to see this and realize, "I can't be with her." And I get to go back and work on a sequence that peaks with this kind of realization.

This needs to be the fuel for this sequence when Commander deals with the Tantrum and, by default, deals with his own past insecurities when it comes to girls he's been interested in. I think there's potential with the overall story, the story that makes up this screwed up section, and the idea of the Tantrum. It's not something easy to explain, but I think I'm making progress just posting about it, since that's what I'm probably going to work on next. (But don't rule out Ashes of War or anything else just yet.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

I have to admit--I really just kinda skimmed this entry at first. But, tonight, when I'm not feeling good and am terribly bored, I took a second look.

The entire concept you describe here is just really cool. Maybe it doesn't fit right with the story, or anything like that...but looking at it that particular way--pretty interesting. Huh. Now I really wanna read this story, even if just to see this section you're talking about.

7/14/2005  
Blogger LEN! said...

I guess it goes without saying that anything I discuss here is "probably" available to be read upon request. If something sounds cool and you want to read it (and I've finished writing it), then talk to me directly somehow and I'll provide printed entertainment.

7/15/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home