Thursday, June 30, 2005

Story Impact

I've seen the new version of War of the Worlds. I've greatly enjoyed the works of Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise as of late (I have a Minority Report poster hanging on the wall in front of me). What I saw will stay with me for quite a while.

War of the Worlds was a high caliber, excellent film. Note that I didn't say movie. A movie is a motion picture you can watch for fun and has a great deal of replay value. A film is a motion picture you watch for artistic reasons and can sometimes be a good candidate for a single viewing only. On the IMDB, I rated War of the Worlds as a 9/10, a high score. I gave Schindler's List a similar rating. I don't think I'll have any real need to see either movie again. One viewing is enough. It's still really good, check it out.

In other news, the theater had a display set up for the new superhero movie Sky High. I cringe every time I see anything related to this movie. The display I saw today had several characters pictured with the character's name above them. I saw the name listed above Kurt Russel's character and got extremely pissed.

It said THE COMMANDER.

I couldn't help but be mad. For the one of you who might not know, I've made up stories my whole life. Many of them, even to this day, involve one central character (who I also named this very web log after). This character is THE COMMANDER. I'm just mildly frustrated and it's not the first time. I felt slightly less perturbed when I first heard the name of the villain in the movie Black Mask.

I'm not too worried. Commander is a military rank, as well as a title given to one who gives official orders. That's why my character still has this as his name. Besides, I'm fairly sure Sky High is going to bomb at the box office.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

So War of the World really is good? I know I passed on a chance to go see it--aliens + Tom Cruise = not much enthusiasm from me.

Completely agree with the difference between films and movies. Though I hadn't put it quite that clearly before.

7/01/2005  
Blogger LEN! said...

I figured out that particular distinction after watching movies like The Piano , American Beauty , and Out Cold . The Piano was boring, pointless dogcrap--none of us liked it. American Beauty was this really neat emotional puzzle that I liked, but my family despised (they thought it was stupid). Out Cold was stupid, mindless tripe that my family thought was hilarious.

Now, I've taken The Art of Film, so I understand more about the nuts and bolts of moviemaking (AKA "film"), while my family hasn't and probably couldn't sit through it. Also, my sister is big into the idea that entertainment should be an escape from the real world; for the most part, I agree with her.

7/02/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you hate it when you come up with something, only to have it trampled on by someone else's idea(an idea that is usually much worse then the one you came up with). I came up with a vampire game with events not dissimilar to those in BloodRayne (except my story wasn't an excuse for breast physics). It even had a villain named Rayne! Same spelling and everything. Rayne is male in my story, but still. I'd swear there was someone out there listening to my ideas. Lurking in the shadows wherever I go. Paranoid you say? Me? No, never.

-Oscar

7/05/2005  
Blogger LEN! said...

Oscar, don't forget about the Mortal Kombat ninja, Rain. Granted, it's not as close as BloodRayne by a long shot, but it could still be called similar.

As far as Commander goes, the term is generic enough to not cause any problems. The British get excited over a character named The Doctor. As with Doctor Who, I'll just have to find a specific title to put on any projects wtih Commander in it.

7/06/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home