Sunday, June 05, 2005

Spiralling Chaos and Clarity

I'm a third of the way through my commitments to Upward Bound. I'm not complaining and cheering one way or another on that. My experience with the program has not been the smoothest of experiences. Chaos. That's what that program is. I know it works out well enough for the students, but not for me. I'm having to lecture for two hour stints and that stinks. "I've had teachers who don't just stand at the front of the class and talk; they do things to make it interesting." That's almost a direct quote that came to me today--Saturday!--from one of my students (who usually sleeps through 85% of class).

It's sucked the life out of me this week. I've felt weak, tired, and exhausted all due to this program. If it's not the apathy of the students pulling me down, it's the lack of aid in doing ACT prep. I'm supposed to give one-hour seminars on types of questions students might see a total of three times in their life. And I'm supposed to do this without hardly any help at all. As it stands right now, I don't think I like working with Upward Bound.

I gave my class an assignment today to help them get ready for their projects that they'll present on the last day of class. They'll be making a list of 2 or 3 systems of the human body and listing at least 3 functions for each system. I think this might be something that turns things around for the class. I hope so.

In other news, on multiple occasions this week, I've had some interesting discussions with different people about faith and spirituality. I've also had to find some way to anchor my mind and fight through this current string of stress I'm walking on. I can't really explain it, but I feel like my faith is stronger right now, stronger than it's been in a while. For that, I'm glad because I could use some faith: faith in myself, faith in people, faith in life.

My big goal for the immediate future is to edit a short story tenatively called "The Gunfight." It involves a gunfight between two characters that aren't really human. I'll just say it, they're at least partially vampires. It's a good little tale, I just need to freshen it up a bit.

Until next time....

1 Comments:

Blogger Daniel C. said...

I know what your feeling stress-wise. If you need to talk let me know.

As far as The Gunfight goes, I would like to read the next revision.

Q

6/05/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home