Thursday, June 23, 2005

Vampire Gunfighters

Sounds screwed up doesn't it?

Well, that's the basic idea of the story I've been calling "The Gunfight" for lack of a better title. At last, I've finally finished editing it again. Now, I can send it to a few friends and have them poke holes in it, or just read it. I'm sure there are still flaws in it, but I think I'm a lot closer to wrapping this thing up than I was before.

It took me a couple of days of actual work editing this story for the simple reason that I had to pick through a lot of flaws that were in it. The major flaws were parts of the main character, Andra Raven. She's got a freaky pistol and an even freakier left arm. Since she's a dhampir, I felt that she should have something in her left arm like the most well known dhampir, Vampire Hunter D.

I won't say much more than that about the story itself. In general, I think I should say that this is part of a larger "idea" I call Blood Tithe.

Blood Tithe is a very simple concept I thought of a little more than 18 months ago. I noticed that every book, comic book, movie, TV show, and video game dealing with vampires always treated them differently. Sometimes they like crosses, sometimes not. Sometimes they like garlic, sometimes not. Sometimes daylight is fatal, sometimes not. I thought about which one should be right and realized that it was impossible to figure that out.

So why can't they all be right? So the world of Blood Tithe works on a few premises, one of which being that any type of vampire can appear. I have a story that runs through some of the event of this world, but the more I think of it, this world is better as a setting that can be played with rather than a setting for a specific story. That's not saying I won't ever write about Andra
Raven again; that just means I'll build the world more than anything else.

Instead of the next thing I write in Blood Tithe being about government sponsored vampire hunters (the main story I thought of that takes place in this world), I'm going to write the history of Andra Raven's pistol and it's role in the early history of this world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home