Saturday, May 17, 2008

Characters Need More Character

This is what Lyndsey has told me several times. It's not that all my characters need to be badasses, and not all of them need work. She finds a lot of fault with the machinations of super sorority girl Marissa and non-conformist Delilah.

Lyndsey's comments have been among the most direct I've ever been given. Partially because she's not one to glaze over her feelings about something, partially because she's in my corner. She likes my writing style, my pacing, my plot, the twist. She even told me in a bit of speed talking that she likes Bridgett, Penelope, Oriane, and the cupcake.

I'm so glad everybody likes the cupcake.

A lot of this comes from an extensive e-mail conversation I had with Lyndsey over the past few days. As I said, she gave me some direct comments on my work, but she also gave me some very kind words of encouragement.

My only dread now is that she's going to really, really hate Chapter 47. It was the hardest chapter for me to write, one of the hardest to edit, and if everything stays on track, I get to edit it again within a week.

It shows that I care about these characters when I don't want to see their absolute darkest moment. If it was a matter of guns, swords, or explosions, I wouldn't have much problem with it. Gore isn't too much a problem for me either, being a biologist and a fan of Berserk. It's the emotional vacuum. It's the animality of the chapter. But I never advertised Vitamin F as being an entry for happy time theater.

Good news is that I'm going to finish draft two with about 45 days to spare on the current 100-day cycle.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home