Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Red Line

I try way too hard.

I got called in today, on my (mostly) day off. It was more an offer of extra hours, and a lot of that was because I'm reliable. My managers think I'm reliable, so there's another point in my favor. I went in, did a few hours of work, enough so that there was actually music staff on hand.

Later on I did the Friends and Family thing. I watched the ribbon cutting to open the new Barnes & Noble and felt good when the crowd flooded in. I heard countless times how beautiful the store looked and how enthusiastic everyone was; we must have done something right.

I sold a few books and made a lot of people, customers and coworkers, happy. I was tenacious in working the floor. Why? I wanted to prove I could do it. Part of me says I shouldn't have though.

I wasn't scheduled for this evening, but it was a special occasion, so I did my job anyway. Above and beyond the call of duty. Combine that with the activities of this morning--standing in one place and sorting for at least 3 hours--and I'm beat. And I get to take down the old store starting tomorrow. I feel a little like an engine, possibly running a bit faster than expected.

I think I'll back off some starting tomorrow. I'll still be tenacious, but I won't do so much that I'll be worn out. This isn't some long-winded way for me to say I'll start slacking. I'm still going to kick ass, I'm just going to rethink a little of how I do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home