Wednesday, October 18, 2006

A Thousand Years

I've just turned on the Sting CD Brand New Day. It's not brand new any more, but that doesn't change how good it is. The title track has a lot of good thoughts in it; one of which made me realize that if someone can make something that people remember for a thousand years, then they must have done something worthwhile. I don't know about my own works; I've got to get over the hurdle of publishing first. I don't think Sting will have any problem getting people to remember his music for a thousand years.

Why the music all the sudden? Chris and Jonathan were over Monday night. During that time, we sat around and listened to music more than anything else--probably did that for close to three hours. During that time, I was reminded of my old Sting CD, which I'm still listening to.

That having been said, I'm thinking music. When I'm writing, I'm always thinking music. "The Golden Hollow" was inspired by a song ("Un Reve") from the RahXephon: Pluralitas Concentio soundtrack. Years ago, I decided that the Commander's official theme song was "Possession," by Sarah McLachlan. Earlier, I was listening to the latest Evanescence CD, The Open Door, and stumbled on an interesting piece.

The track was "Weight of the World." Since I'd been discussing my writing with Barrett at work, I noticed that this particular track said a lot about the character of Kathryn in "The Golden Hollow." She's trapped under the burden of a great power that she doesn't understand and can only control by not using. She's also got this crazy friend (Commander), who, while helpful, is a bit too much. It is for that reason, I declare that the Golden Hollow herself now has an offical theme song--"Weight of the World," by Evanescence.

And now, I hear the last few notes of "Brand New Day," calling an end, not only to the CD, but also this post. Later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home