Wednesday, August 16, 2006

When Rival Ideas Attack

In the left corner, weighing in at five years of creeping development, the craziest mecha novel ever--Ashes of War. In the right corner, weighing in at several months of twisted focus wrapped around an old concept, the collapsing mental spiral of The Silent Covenant.

These two ideas will now engage one another in Mortal Kombat! Only the winner will get worked on this week. Crappy prize, huh?

I've come to an impasse. After getting a decent sized scene hammered out last week for Ashes of War, I'd like to continue working on it, mainly because I end up working more on it each time I start working on it again. I've got a lot of ideas for The Silent Covenant, ideas which will definately get stirred up more next week because a certain movie that spurred this line of thought is hitting DVD.

Either way, my main thought from here on is to work, to some degree, on a project at all times. This isn't always the actual craft of writing, although I need to turn up the heat and do that more. Stories need ideas and ideas need forethought and development. It helps me to have an idea of where I'm going, or at least know what I'm aiming for with a particular piece of writing.

How successful will I be? Don't know. I can't really tell until I've done more, and that's not easy with something that's novel-length.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home