Thursday, June 29, 2006

It's Good To Have Friends

Rocky called me up last night and asked if I was at a point with my thesis where I could take a few hours and come see Superman Returns. I looked at where I was and the time I had until he was going to show up, then said I would. I should also mention that Rocky said he would get my ticket for me.

This coming Friday, Jeff is going to be taking most of our roleplaying group to see... Superman Returns. In a very similar fashion, he says he's getting all our tickets. Both times when this has come up, I've said, "Thanks," I taken the ticket.

I'm glad I did. The jury's still out on my final verdict toward the film, but any way I end up looking at it will start with "It's really damn good." This is the kind of movie anyone can see and probably enjoy. It's got interesting story, unique depictions of characters, and a Superman that in no way, shape, or form resembles a smug asshole, like in the comics.

Even when the comics are written well, I can't help but see that smugness, that sense of narcississm, that mentality of haughtyness trying to come out of Superman. Look close and you can see it on the edges even now. But Brandon Routh, he just seems like a cool guy.

I'm pretty harsh on Superman most of the time; I just can't support a character that's a boy scout, an asshole, and an idol all in the same package. This movie isn't a case of that: he's here to help, it's that simple. All he wants to do is help people, because he's just a nice, normal person. I know those are rarities, but if you can find friends who will buy you a movie ticket just because they can, then take what pleasure you can from it.

It's the little things in life that matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home