Saturday, June 03, 2006

Direct Answers, Neutral Questions

When you want a clear answer, the easiest thing to do is to ask a direct question.

For a while now, my major professor has had some issues with my thesis research. I knew what the issues were more or less, so I did what I could to fix them. More or less isn't definate knowledge. When I directly expressed what I was wanting to do, and I was told exactly what is still required of me. That might sound bad to some, but for where I am and how much time I've got, it's a very very good thing.

Rarely does anyone ask a direct question.

Take the media for example. If they want an answer, they decide what types of answers they want, then shape questions to generate those answers.

The local news called the comic book store today while I was working and asked if they could come down and ask a few questions about the new Batwoman character. Free exposure for the store? "Sure, come on down." But who is this Batwoman, you may ask?

This is Batwoman. Wealthy socialite Kate Kane. Has some connection to Bruce Wayne. Former girlfriend of Renee Montoya. Girlfriend? To a girl?

Welcome to the controversy. All the big media--not just comics--talk has been that "Batwoman is a lesbian." It's been the thing to talk about on news shows. And the local news thought they'd get comic readers' thoughts...

Being Store Manager, I got to negotiate the communication between the interviewer and the store. They asked me several questions about what bearing this character will have on comics and what brought her about. In a sentence, my standpoint is, "This is just one detail about the character, it's just something that's part of her background."

The questions, and I wish I could remember them, were very "open." Open doesn't get them in trouble at all, but lets me stick my foot in my mouth much, much easier. I used the best of my diplomatic abilities to keep from getting snagged, especially because I wasn't just answering questions for me, I was also answering questions on behalf of Marvels & Legends Comics.

I haven't seen the broadcast, so I don't know if they made me sound like the guy who hates gays or the guy who drools over lesbians. But I'm sure it looked like one of those two.

The lesson is, if you hear a direct question, answer it. Otherwise assume someone is looking to decieve you. That sounds very Art of War, but I've read a lot of that book and it holds true here.

One final note: This marks my 100th blog post. Never thought I'd make it this far.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

But...everyone knows that Len Hates Gay People! Ken said so!

6/03/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home