Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Comics and Gaming Expo 2006, Part 2

Day 2--Comic Book Convention

Same rules as before, good, bad, if applicable ugly.

Getting up after 5 hours of sleep on the weekend may be ugly, but it was my choice. Ken told me the night before, "You guys are gonna game all night... you're crazy." That's true.

Anyway, lots of trips through the various floors of the Buckner building eventually got the dealers to the top floor and ready to go. We also had a good showing of professional talent for a neophyte comic show. The charity pieces were fully in place--a table of items to be sold or raffled, including 100 prints of the 1960s Catwoman, Lee Merriwether, as drawn by Greg Land. I managed to get my hand on a Queen & Country: Declassified hardcover, signed by Greg Rucka.

Starting out there was a decent trickling of patrons. I did a couple of stints taking admission at the door. I watched as many people I've known for years took part in the first comic convention they've ever been to. Not only were they loving it, but I was too, and I've been to conventions before. I spoke to a few of the dealers and they mentioned in passing--I only asked if they were having a good time--they were pleased with the number of people and the success of their tables. All these things have to come together to make a show work, especially if it's the beginning of an annual show.

Just as with gaming, the comic convention took a few hours to really find its legs. Ken was a little nervous about it, until within 5 minutes 12 paying customers flooded in. And the flow didn't really stop either.

Guests included Ghost Rider creator Gary Friedrich as the Guest of Honor, Brian Hurtt and Chris Samnee who have both worked on the aforementioned Queen & Country, and Matt Kindt. No, I didn't determine the guest list, that's just the way things turned out.

Yes, I went and talked to Brian Hurtt and Chris Samnee. Yes, I got that hardback singned by Brian Hurtt as well, since he did the art on it. Yes, I bought a trade and the latest issue. Yes, I looked at the art for the next issue--which wasn't done at the time! Yes, I stood there and talked to those guys about all kinds of stuff. If I figure out how to do it, I'll post some pictures of the loot here.

Later, Katie pointed out a Lois & Clark promo poster that she wanted to get for Jeff, but didn't have the money for. I started dreaming up holidays as an excuse to get it for him. I also drafted Jonathan's help to get it, since that's the kind of gift that can be fun to get from a bunch of people. Jonathan and I bought it, snuck around Jeff and held it up. Katie then told him to turn around. Jeff ended up being eye to eye with Dean Cain's arm and the side of Teri Hatcher's chest.

Then came the watching of Lara Croft: Tomb Raider: Tears of the Dragon, a film by Nick Murphy, formerly of this area. I think I judged the film too harshly. It's a fan film and I watched it and thought about it like it was a major release. It was good and, if I get the opportunity, I'd like to talk to Nick more about it. Note: you can learn more at www.tearsofthedragon.com

I didn't really have an opportunity since all those comic boxes I helped carry in before the show, had to be carried out after the show was over. As a whole, I say the show was a success and I hope Ken agrees.

2 Comments:

Blogger CalvinPitt said...

Yeah, I definitely plan on asking Ken how he feels it went. I kind of remember him saying he was hoping for like 100 people over the entire weekend.

If that's true, based on the crowd for the brief time I was there on Sunday, I'd say he shouldn't worry.

4/11/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well since he's already planning CAGE 2007, I'd say it was a big success.

4/13/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home