Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Comics And Gaming Expo 2006

"Ken Con." "Ken-vention." Whatever title you might want to use for it, Ken put on a kickass show. There was previously a single, one-shot trade show years ago in this area, but Ken blew it away. I only remember it because I went for a little bit. Comics and Gaming Expo--I was there most of the time. Here is my report on the activities of CAGE, the good, the bad, and (if applicable) the ugly. I'll use my perspective on the events, so, if you went, you might have seen something else. If that's the case, please share.

Day One--Gaming:

I went a little early, both to help out and to see what all was going on in the couple of hours before HeroClix took place. The Halo tournament started way too early, so they did another later in the day. Several card games were getting started up. A few RPGs had started up. Warhammer was nearly a bust since most of their players were no shows.

The gem in all this, I felt, was a fairly new card game being demoed. Anachronism, made with assisstance from The History Channel, is a very quick game where players take the roles of famous warriors, soldiers, and mythological figures throughout history. It was fast--about 5 minutes to play one whole game--simple and fun. I learned that the booster packs aren't random, so I might have a grab a few at a later date.

We had about 10 players show up for HeroClix, up from our recent level of 5-6. Among the extras were Jeff, who hasn't played in a tournament in a good year plus, and his wife Katie, who's only played with Jeff. Jeff played some core JLA members. Katie played The Shadowpact. I played a Rann-Thanagar War team. Nathan, our area shark, played the JSA. Until she got to the last round, Katie was whooping the hell out of everybody she played, myself included. If it had been put to a player vote, Katie would have won.

By the time HeroClix was wrapping up, some Star Wars miniatures action got going. It was pretty cool to see that going. Also got to try out the Fullmetal Alchemist card game. It's no Anachronism, but it's pretty neat. It takes a while though, which really started to eat into our playing Vampire. With Vampire, Oscar has started his first campaign. He's got a good handle on things and his narrative style is very unique. I like it and it's pacing (Read: Oscar, make notes on how the game moves and you could easily get a book out of it.)

At the conclusion of that, it was around 2:30 AM. And I turned around and got up at 8:30 AM for... I'll fill you in on that later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home