Thursday, March 09, 2006

Why I Hate Infinite Crisis, Part 5

DAMMIT! I'm sick of having to make these posts, but if I don't, who'll express my rage over the going-on in the Detective Comics Comics Universe.

SPOILERS AHEAD! If you haven't read Teen Titans #33 yet, do not read any further.

I read the latest issue of Teen Titans, as I'm sure you've guessed. Why did I get it? Because it seemed interesting. Nightwing. Superboy. Wonder Girl. A surprise guest star who really enjoys the concept of "Conflict."

This issue was entitled, "The Opening Sequence of Infinte Crisis #6 Stretched To Fill 22 Pages"--I'm sorry, that's what it should have been called. This issue is a really drawn out form of Nightwing and Superboy doing a quick recon run on the Anti-Monitor Corpse/Tower. Wow. I just told you the main plot of the issue in one sentence. It was good, I enjoyed it, great character interaction, but was it necessary? I'll let everyone judge for themselves.

Now I always like to find a good point about the overall Infinte Crisis when I make these posts, and this one is no different. You may have heard me mention this big Ares subplot that had been forming since Greg Rucka's fifth or sixth issue of Wonder Woman. With the Helenic Pantheon (that's the Greek Gods, kids) "leaving" this plane, I couldn't help but think it was all for naught.

Guess what? Ares has a way back in. Observant readers will see that he now has a Champion. Bad news for Diana. Pity she doesn't know. (FYI, A Champion of the Gods is either a badass or a badass that's bad news; it all depends on the Patron, in this case, Ares.)

More bad news for Diana. The Champion of Conflict--Cassie Sandsmark, AKA Wonder Girl. This is just all kinds of bad for Wonder Woman since she's the Champion of Wisdom. More on that in a moment.

Back to what I didn't like (although this is near the end of it all). When discussing the departure of the Gods, Ares says this to Wonder Girl in Teen Titans #33: "Zeus, the greedy deity our father is, is taking all of his power with him. Including that of his mortal children."

If Zeus was in charge of Olympus, that would really impact Cassie. But, last time I checked, the Lord of Olympus went by the name of Athena, Goddess of Wisdom. Diana and Cassie's boss. Apparently, Geoff Johns didn't get the memo from the continuity cop...

Wait a second. Geoff Johns IS the continutiy cop. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Geoff Johns, the Barney Fife of comics continuity. He means well, knows the basics of what to do, is loyal, and will come through in a pinch. But on day to day stuff, he only gets one bullet for a reason.

I've been processing everything that's been going on with Infinte Crisis and Wonder Woman during all this. I've found a lot of inconsistencies. Most recently before today was Infinite Crisis #5. Earth-2 Wonder Woman showed up and told Diana that she "hasn't been human in a long time." Bullshit. I've seen more sympathy, caring, and compassion from Diana in her book than Superman has of late. I say anyone who thinks Diana hasn't been human in a long time hasn't really been paying attention to her book.

That's the point right there. "Paying attention to her book." When this all got started, back in the days of me promoting Infinite Crisis, Wonder Woman was my favorite comic book. By association, in part, I got attached to other parts of the DC Universe because of it. Starting with issue #2 of Infinite Crisis, that started to change because the story started to change. It went away from what was working for it and became some bastard amalgamation of Greg Rucka Wonder Woman, stereotypical Wonder Woman, and being forced through the plot of a big crossover.

Even though it isn't over yet, I'm going to put together a list of answers to the following question:

Why do I hate Infinte Crisis?

1. It killed my favorite comic book, Wonder Woman, in terms of storyline and publication.
2. It maimed, if not killed, my ability to fully support DC instead of Marvel.
3. It made me continually lower my opinion of a writer I held in high regard, Geoff Johns.
4. It jaded me toward comics in general--I actually thought about stopping completely at one point because of this.
5. It made me go from being interested in an older story, Crisis on Infinite Earths, to never wanting to read it.

Thankfully, Infinite Crisis has been focusing more on the characters who should be focused on, so I'm finding more reasons to enjoy it. If it wasn't for that, I'd have stopped reading completely after issue #4. Honestly. Maybe I'll find something good to say about it the next time I speak of it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, here's a question for you; Has Diana been showing compassion because she cares or because she feels she has to? I know you'll argue this next time I see you, but please consider.

3/09/2006  
Blogger LEN! said...

Interesting question. I don't know that I have an answer one way or another.

I only wonder if she only feels she has to show compassion, then why is she a hero at all?

3/09/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Point.

3/09/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home