Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Yo-Yo Mentality

I'm on an incredible high point. I'm on an incredible low point. I'm on both at the same time, so I'm mostly mellow.

I'm on a high point because, over the weekend, I got to see just what a lot of people think of me. As I've been saying lately, I "pretended to graduate" on Saturday. It's pretend because there's the small matter of my thesis still remaining. I just have to clean up some data, type, defend, and I'm done. Got about 2 months to do it in, too.

I know what these people think of me because they demonstrated it, not just said it. My family said they were proud of me; they showed up and put on a bit of a celebration. My friends arrived to take part in the celebration and support me and the Cackler (who graduated Cum Laude). Even the illustrious Ken Murphy played a small, but very surprising part.

To have made it through the Master's program, short of one thing, is quite an accomplishment. Not a lot of people can do it. Most people can't or won't even start it. It's a rare thing. I think that's why I caught myself smiling no less than twice yesterday.

But there's also that low point. That frequently frustrating teaching assisstantship--gone. It's over with. I've turned in my keys and cleaned out my office. I am a teacher, in that sense, no more. Bad part is, I've collected my last paycheck as well.

I'm no fool. I'm looking for work since the bills won't pay themselves. I haven't really had a lot of luck so far. There's no clear direction for me to look in, so I'm just following whatever leads I can find. I followed one lead so far, but that led me to something that looked like a pyramid scheme, not a job. Still, I'm not beat yet.

"What about writing?" you may ask. There's not a great deal I can do with it at the moment. I'm still developing Unnamed Horror Novel and I don't want to commit a lot of time to most of my other projects until I'm very, very close to done with my thesis. In short, writing is on hold for the moment.

I am rediscovering that third gear I mentioned a while back. I'm on the edge of Thesis Mode once more. Between thesis, looking for work, having pretended to graduate, and a few other things, I haven't got much to spare. But I'm not crumbling, not yet.

1 Comments:

Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I hear you on the most people not getting started on a thesis thing. The farther I get into the field research for mine, the more daunting it seems to get.

I'm glad graduation was at least a celebratory time for ya. My roomie was graduating as well, though she's still got classes for another two weeks (internship at the hospital).

5/16/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home