Saturday, June 10, 2006

The Silent Covenant

Silent: performed or borne without utterance.

Covenant: a formal binding agreement.

What's so important about a formal binding agreement, performed or borne without utternace? Very simple--it's the core of a lot of ideas within a project that, until today, I've called Unnamed Horror Novel.

For a couple of days, I've been thinking that I should use a title that included "the covenant," but that didn't feel right. I mentioned this to Oscar who said that there needed to be an adjective in there and it could work. As a joke, I remembered what spurred this project forward in the first place, Silent Hill.

I said, "How about The Silent Covenant?" Oscar laughed. Then we both thought about it and decided it might work. Not telling Jonathan what it was for, I asked him if he thought it was a good title; he gave quite a few ooos and ahhhs about how good it sounded. I asked Jeff, Katie, and Rick, getting some good responses there as well. I think it's going to work and there are a few story reasons why:

1. The primary character dynamic is built around a couple who have been dating for many years. Such a relationship can be seen as a negotiation to form a covenant (marriage), and the unsaid motivations of the main character toward his girlfriend would most definately be silent.

2. The story eventually homes in on several upper members of the community quietly forging a pact with a sinister agent of the Brill'Que sisterhood, Exonia. Exonia is currently the only new character I've made for this that has a name, any and all suggestions in this regard would be appreciated.

3. The main character enters into an arrangement with Commander to give him a fighting chance against a horde of people in one of the later sequences. The ramafications of this arrangement... well, I know them, but I doubt the main character will get to find out.

This is going to be a tale more about character study and survival than advancing plot and finding adventure. I'm going to do everything in my power to keep the reader from knowing exactly what is going on for the longest time. I'll describe sounds of torment and suffering, sounds lacking any visual. All visuals will be brief and fragmented, letting the reader fill in the details. It will all be kept vague, just so I have a better shot at scaring the readers while drawing them along for the journey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home