Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Admissions

It makes one's self better to admit things about themself. I'm in the middle of a stressful time, so I thought now might be a good time to do just that.

I don't know how to look for a job. I've never really learned. I know things about the process, but I don't really know 50% of what most people know aobut it. The only reason I've gotten the jobs I have in my life is because I took advantage of some opportunities that fell in my lap.

I do know what jobs I refuse to take. After close to twenty years of actively hearing people say "Food service sucks," I'd have to say that's one set of jobs I refuse to do. I'd sell everything I own just to avoid taking a food service job, at least that's what I'm thinking.

This all comes down to one very simple thing. All the base information I have about anything, someone told me. If I'm not told what to do, I can't really do it.

For example, today's episode of the job hunt took me back to the nearest hospital, again looking for the "Employment Entrance." I followed where the one landmark said to go and eventually found myself at one of the many large entrances. Inside I found a map, a map that gave me absolutely no further information.

Now, why didn't I ask anyone for help? Because the trick of it all, as far as I can tell, is that there are certain things I have to be able to find at a particular place before I'll have a prayer of lasting more than a week there. Finding where to drop off an application is one of them. Don't debate me on this; it's my twisted sense of honor we're talking about. I can't even reason with it.

There have been times in my life where my twisted sense of honor has gotten me into bad situations before. If I listen to it completely, then, if I don't finish my thesis this summer, I'll see myself as being $250+ in debt on top of anything else I've currently got. If I don't finish, I'll feel like I don't deserve any gifts given to me as part of my pretending to graduate.

I might add more later, but feel free to chime in.

3 Comments:

Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I'm with you on "No food service" jobs.

Of course, I've never had what I'd consider a "typical" summer job. I spent three summers working for the public school district in Columbia cleaning boilers, and I've spent three sumers since doing various stuff for MDC, like counting birds, surveying people at Lewis & Clark events, and setting insect traps.

Suffice to say, I have no clue how to get a job with a normal business.

6/08/2006  
Blogger Jonathan said...

I wish I could give you some advice, but my job quite literally hit me in the head. Mom threw the postcard with the interview dates at my head. So...um...no clue. Good luck, though!

6/09/2006  
Blogger LEN! said...

Update:

I managed to speak with someone from the Human Resources department and they told me where their office was. When I finally found it, I realized that asking anyone walking around would have been clueless. It's a small entranceway that's in the same area as the truck loading docks. Crazy.

The lesson may be perseverence wins, but I think it's just as important to have such a place be easy to find, as opposed to difficult and camoflauged.

6/09/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home