Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Recurring Themes

Before I get to this evening's writing, I think I should discuss a dream I had last night. This isn't something I'm doing for anaysis purposes, just to get it out of my head so I can think about it clearer. This shouldn't take long.

I was at my high school and it was 7th hour, when I would have Basketball/Basketball Practice every day. For the most part, everyone was sitting around goofing off. We still had basic drills to go through--standard warmup, free throws--but nothing serious. It was so not serious, many of us were wearing out street clothes. I don't remember too many details, but I do know it was one of the times that Kathryn was doing stuff with us.

What? Don't think a girl could be badass enough to keep up with the boy's varsity team? Factually speaking, it happened.

Anyway, back in the land of dreams, I was sitting the bench. The odd thing was that I wasn't me from 1996-1997, I was me from today. For some reason, I was getting up to go somewhere, somewhere notable (which I don't remember, aren't dreams funny) and I was being pulled down by my right arm. Kathryn had twisted her arms around mine, holding close to me. She said she didn't want me to go. Why? Damned if I know.

Other events happened, but that was the moment when this dream truly became lucid. I knew, at this point, that I was in a dream. It was that point, when I found my old friend sitting next to me, that stuck with me.

I fully admitted to myself a few months back when I remembered having a dream with Kathryn in it that I most likely dreamt of her every time I slept. The closest friends you have in high school are the ones that stick with you emotionally, if not in actuality. Same thing goes for the first person you're really attracted to. Guess who fits both categories?

Maybe I'm trying to shake Kathryn from my mind. Or maybe my lingering thoughts of her or the character that grew from my thoughts of her are keeping me from something creatively. Or maybe it was just some stupid dream. Whatever it might be, part of me wishes I knew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home