Saturday, September 09, 2006

The Value of Willpower

It could be argued that the way we manage to do the things we do, is because we will ourselves to do them. We decide that we are or aren't going to do something and we stick to it as long as we can. When someone manages to see that decision through time and time again, they could be said to have a lot of willpower.

I decided I was going to get a job with Barnes & Noble when I heard about their mass hire a little more than a month ago. I sought out references and contacts, cleared time to get an interview. I told myself that not only could I get a job with them, that I would get a job there. Not only did I get a job, I got one when I thought they would just be calling me in for another interview. I was very pleasantly surprised and accepted the position.

I'm not sure why, but I do feel relieved. Not having any job really sucks, and I'm really not the type that wants to keep living on handouts of any sort. When I decide I want something, I go after it.

I decided I would finish The Golden Compass when it got a little bumpy. My reward was a really good book, that from everything I've heard, is just an intro to something greater. I decided to write, so I did just that. I cranked out a large portion of a sequence from The Silent Covenant where four characters venture through a little area called "the silent forest," where no sound exists.

When that hit a wall, I started looking into Ashes of War again. I found that a lot of the political shifting through the entire book revolves around a battle near the city of Byakko. That's why I've started diagraming where the city is within its landscape and where the invading forces are set up prior to the battle.

And let's not forget that ever-irritating thesis. This week, I've managed to speak with Dr. Scheibe not once, but twice in person. We've gotten the ball rolling again to some extent. I'm scheduled to have another draft turned in the first week of October.

I've had good fortunes in the past week. I've been lucky and I'm greatful for it. Of course, having the will to push myself forward helps by leaps and bounds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home