Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A Call to Arms

If I may have your attention, there is something growing in our midst, something cruel that must be stopped, lest it destroy our way of life. This beast is called lateness my friends, and we have to fight it.

The biggest case of late is Civil War, the Marvel now-non-event that has delayed half it's publishing schedule by at least a month. One issue delays twenty others.

Then there's DC with the works of MG3 (I can't believe I just used that term). This collective of four writers is responsible for the weekly series 52. Since they're so committed to keeping that weekly schedule, they've delayed no less than eight ongoing titles, one of which is from a different company.

That's right, it's time for me to be harsh to Greg Rucka. Queen & Country not only hasn't shipped, it's been cancelled from the shipping lists. Those who regularly read the comic series (I try to, but it hasn't shipped!) would probably agree that one issue of this black and white comic has higher quality content than about say 16 issues of 52 in full color. And let us not forget Atticus Kodiak, whose next novel has been delayed until next year--and to give some context, the first time it was delayed, I hadn't started reading anything Rucka yet.

Just to be fair, I'm going to make another point that I think Mr. Rucka would agree with. DC just officially turned Wonder Woman into a bimonthly book. "We're redefining our DC icons for the next generation," has been the standard line from DC editorial. But I think it's hard to redefine anything if the public can't see it.

Let me say that again: I think it's hard to redefine anything if the public can't see it.

It doesn't matter if it's an Amazonian princess, an intergalactic cop, a poorly contrived arachnid trainwreck you just can't look away from, international espionage, or personal security agents. Lateness kills interest, which means lateness kills sales, or at least it should.

Too often comic book companies rely on comic readers having drug addict-like behavior. They claim all too often that they'll ditch the late books just to turn around and by two copies each of the standard and last minute toss-in variant cover. Marvel and DC don't see readers, they see junkies looking for their fix.

Personally, with both Green Lantern and Wonder Woman being late, the new JLA book just earned a lot of points with me. I can kill two late books and pick up one book (hopefully) timely book and still read about the exact same characters. It's a thought.

Still, I ask any and all of you being affected by lateness to look over the things that are late and do something about it. Write a letter, stop buying the book, wait for the trade, do something that the companies and creators will notice. Do not reward their laziness. Just think about it at the very least.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, what about the indie companies like SLG, who's going to put out my Gargoyles and Haunted Mansion comics? Should I complain to them for lateness, even though from what I understand indie books are slightly irregular anyway? Aside from that, I understand what you're saying.

8/30/2006  
Blogger CalvinPitt said...

If the book appears to be on a six-week schedule and is actually able to maintain that, is it late?

I'm asking because Teen Titans comes out this week and I've been debating for awhile whether I should be tolerating the time I spend waiting for this book, especially with what's sure to be heartbreak on the horizon.

8/30/2006  
Blogger LEN! said...

Fair points. Perhaps I should add the qualifier that something come out on a reasonable schedule. That way, the independent companies can get it when they get it (it's day by day for them) and the big guys (who have no excuse) can see exactly what they've gained.

As far as waiting for sure heartbreak goes, I don't think I'd do it any more. My opinion would be to take a wait and see position--wait, then see later on if it's worth getting/getting again.

8/31/2006  
Blogger LEN! said...

With Marvel and DC relying more and more on lateness, my anticipation grows for books from smaller companies, especially those like Dynamite who do their very best to keep a monthly schedule. Currently, I look forward to Red Sonja more than just about any other book. Since I read the things I am most eager to read last, those times that I read Red Sonja earlier, I end up feeling like I should have waited longer to do so.

In short, in getting my personal interest, a very small company has done more and more to dominate, while the big guys do less and less. Take that as you will.

9/07/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home