Sunday, September 11, 2005

Let's Change The Beat

This Monday could be the first time in about two weeks where I'll have an oppotunity to talk to Lauren. Could be, because the way my scheduling has worked, along with my timing upon walking into lecture, I don't even see her. Even if I do, I'm not going to be so concerned with any possibilities. It's been so long, I just don't know if it can happen any more. If it does, great; if not, that's OK too.

A little more than a week ago, Rocky dropped off a DVD set in hopes of getting me to watch another show. As a result, I am no thoroughly addicted to the show House, M.D. Watching Dr. Gregory House is like watching a middle-aged, very bitter, cane-carrying version of, well, me. He may be an insufferable asshole, but he will heal you if you are his patient. He despises liars--and everybody lies--and doesn't suffer fools lightly. Speaking of which, have I mentioned I don't like Yes-men? I haven't? OK.

I don't like Yes-men.

I find them to be self-deluded fools, only interested in political success. You can tell what comic company I'm more interested based on, in part, by the lack of Yes-men who speak for them. But this isn't about comics, this is about Teaching Assistants.

This past Friday, I discovered a couple of people I work with are Yes-men. The jury's still out on one of them, but the other, who I shall refer to as "Mr. Yes," is a card-carrying member of the Yes-men of North America. Most Yes-men are ultra-conformists if you follow the stereotype, but Mr. Yes is not.

Mr. Yes is about 23 years old and is obsessed with drinking, eclectic music, herbal remedies, hemp, bat guano, and frequent use of three-letter words beginning with the letter Y. Mr. Yes, who has had all of 3 weeks as a graduate student, wants me to sacrifice my time, so he has more time to work on his thesis and drink. I've been doing this for a year, care nothing about his schedule one way or another, and need to work on my thesis, not give up my time so he can figure out what his is going to be.

My real problem with Mr. Yes is that he's trying to dictate terms to someone with the same position who has seniority and he doesn't know how to ask. Ken Murphy asks for my help a lot, but he makes it really seem worthwhile, partially because he knows how to approach people. Mr. Yes asks for this, and I really don't give a shit what he's asking because, I'm not playing his game. Mr. Yes wants me to come in nights and weekends to work on stuff for Anatomy & Physiology. NO.

There's another source for this problem--I've been working for a month and won't get paid for close to a week. Also, we're starting the fourth week of the semester and our schedules are almost set in stone by this point aside from classes. (Seems backwards doesn't it.) If I ran the world, I'd just say a big "fuck you" to University politics, Mr. Yes, and his bat guano.

In better news, I might be starting up a new story. A mystery involving the arrival of a box filled with odd clues and an enigmatic message. Could be fun. I just have to figure out what kinds of fun things I can put in. Also, I'm thinking about Ashes of War again. It's a dream project, so I'll keep coming back to it. Right now, I'm assessing how the settings should look more than anything else.

Finally, if those of you out there who are thinking of posting don't like the new anti-advertisement function when adding your comments, please let me know.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Madcackler,

I don't know you, but that was the funniest comment I've read in a long time. I thought it was the next innovation in the recent rash of blogspam that's been clogging these blogs lately. If that was the idea, then congratulations, you successfully mastered blogspam. If not, it's damn funny.

ANDREA

9/12/2005  
Blogger LEN! said...

I'd vote for damn funny, but the Protoform Hotline was busy all six times I tried to call.

When/If I get through, I'll be asking about those group rates--see next most recent post for details.

9/12/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home