Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Genres I Love, Genres I Hate

I have an undergraduate degree in Biology with a Creative Writing minor. I'm currently a teaching assisstant for the Biology department. I want to be a writer. So what genre do I like best?

Using bookstore headings, logic would dictate that I'm crazy about Science Fiction/Fantasy. But every time I look at that section, I can't help but feel sick. About 80% of the shelves are filled with books that have subheadings that look something like "Book X of Y," or "Part X of the Whatever Series." It's all cookie cutter.

There is some hope. I noticed the newest Orson Scott Card book in Hastings earlier. It was an urban fantasy. I don't remember the title, but the thought of such a thing--a great writer trying different things--sounds wonderful.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

By the way, the book you're thinking of is "Magic Street", and I hear it's actually quite good. I also hear you about the cookie-cutter thing.

8/17/2005  
Blogger LEN! said...

Yes, it was "Magic Street" I was thinking of. Thanks for the assisst.

8/18/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home