Sunday, September 25, 2005

Imaginary Stones

I sit here once more, listening to the sounds of RahXephon coming from my computer. My love for this show has once more resurfaced since it's on TV every week and I have someone new to talk to about it. One of the mian elements of RahXephon is the perceptions of the main character, Ayato Kamina. It is his perceptions which will shape--or in this case "tune"--the world.

I bring it up because my good friend Dan has recently written about the nature of writer's block and come up with some original, painfully obvious things that most people don't realize about the nature of writing. Since reading it, I've thought some about how I perceive the world and how much control my perceptions have on it.

FEAR: I think what I fear most about the writing process is that it's all for nothing. Not that I can't write, or that no one will like it; I know both of those things aren't true in the least. There are parts of me that aren't sure if it's even going to happen. I get stuck on where to send these two finished stories because I just don't know what to do with them. Similar reasons stop me from finishing one story I was working on a while back, if those count as reasons.

DISTRACTION: The world seeps in to time better spent on the writing itself. Perhaps it's all my friends coming over on Wednesdays or me spending a lot of time at the comic book store. These are things I could do less, but I'm not sure if I want to. Honestly, there are other places where I waste my time as well that are much better used for writing than what I use the time for now. Whatever the case may be, I need to shut out the visual and vocal interactions in some places and focus more on audio interactions (mood music, if it helps) and mental interactions (the act of writing).

LAZINESS: I'm a lazy guy unless I feel motivated. It's a bad way to be, but the more I observe people in the real world, the more I see that most people are incredibly lazy. If I can crack through my laziness a little, I'll be all the better for it.

These are the stones I've decided to see in the past. I need to get up tomorrow and see blank places where the stones used to be as I step over to the computer and type.

Will I?

1 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

Oh dear. Len, you really seem unable to get away from the blog ads...

9/26/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home