Friday, January 09, 2009

Creative Accomplishment

For Christmas, I had the idea of giving Lyndsey a drawing of my prospective cover to Vitamin F. I'd had an idea for quite a while showing an off-center image of Bridgett holding a vitamin in an open hand. It was a simple visual, marked more by the fact that the top of her head was going to be intentionally cut out of the image.

Another idea came along just after Thanksgiving. Yes, it took heavy notes from Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series, but, instead of being set up purely as an aesthetic, my new idea was built more around trying to identify the most basic conflict of Vitamin F. Once the twist comes along, there is actually significance behind Bridgett taking her vitamin every day.

The problem was that, with hectic scheduling and chaos all around, I ended up only having one day to draw the picture. I took out my pocket sketchbook and my pencils, being trapped behind a register for 6 hours on a slow night, and I went to work, doing what I could. My thought was that if I could finish the concept and have it look halfway decent, I could take a picture of it to finish later and give Lyndsey the original.

I did it. Had to do a little trimming, but I finished the small version with no problems. Take a look.

I thought I could include a black all around, just to keep the attention of the cover fixated on Bridgett. I want to find some way to really make the vitamin in her hand show up easier as well. I need to also improve the angle and a few of the proportions, but other that that, what you see if what I hope you'll get to buy someday for $10-25.

Finally, I had to give Lyndsey the picture in a card and while she was working, so I didn't really get to hear much of a reaction from her about it at the time. A few days ago, when I had to unlock the door so she could come in for work, she waved vigorously at me and smiled. "The picture was gorgeous," she said. Aside from the obvious statements I could make, I need to start on the next incarnation of that drawing soon. And I might have to try my hand at a drawing of a cute blonde in a thick black coat as well.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks good, though her shoulders are a bit to wide. A woman's shoulders should be about the same width as her hips.

:)

1/09/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home