Thursday, October 02, 2008

A World Suffused With Sound...

I've been prepping some thoughts for National Novel Writing Month, deciding to pursue My Soundscope. After some thinking, I realized I didn't have that motivation to really make that story work. I wanted so much to explore my "love letter" to anime, specifically RahXephon (this is the term I've used to describe the story for a while).

That's when the format dawned on me completely: I should write it as a love letter.

Not only would it be a love letter, it would be a letter from "Ayato," ultimately meant to be read by "Haruka." Neither of which are actually characters in My Soundscope. (OK, in all fairness, Ayato is going to end up being a character, but I'm going to do everything I can to hide that fact.) This love letter would also serve as a history for both the setting and for the events of the novel; Ayato mentions his past with Haruka while telling her what he's seeing.

So, from the world of anime, what stereotypes will I be exploiting?

Sinister all-powerful anti-hero? Yeah.
Pensive teenage hero? Yes.
Cute scientist girl? Stoic cyborg woman? Yes, they're the same character.
Villain with white hair, narrow eyes, and a sword? Of course.
Pseudo-apocalyptic plot? Yeah, it wouldn't be anime otherwise.
Whiny mech pilot? No, there aren't any mechs.
Tentacle monsters? Next question.
Nurse Snikt? AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Uber-powerful teenage schoolgirl? There just might be.
Gruff nihilistic swordsmen? No, I've got a nihilist character, but he doesn't use a sword.

Enough already. Add more questions if you like. I've got work to do.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home