Saturday, October 01, 2005

"Curse Your Sudden, Yet Inevitable Betrayal!"

A few things. First, I looked at some markets Dan suggested to me and submitted "Blood Draw" to one of them. I have no thoughts or expectations other than I'm glad I've got stuff circulating for publishing purposes again.

Then my plan to make myself Supreme Overlord of Existence came up. So far, it's working out quite nicely, as everyone is so happy with what information I have supplied.

Finally, Serenity. Did you ever see Firefly? This is the movie version... I think... or not. I liked the movie, but I don't feel completely comfortable with that fact. But before I say much more--

SPOILERS AHEAD!

When moving from TV to movies, the creators have a hard decision to make: Do we make it lean more toward a new audience or fans of the show? Joss Whedon, in my opinion, never really made this decision and it shows. Virtually all character development is gone, expecting the audience to already be familiar with the characters, events, etc. However, the excessive darkness of the movie makes the story itself better suited to newcomers to the 'verse, rather than Firefly fans. To elaborate on this, I now ask myself rhetorical questions in a semi-list capacity.

1. Do I care about River? Can't say my mind's really been changed about Ms. Existentialism. She's quirky and weird, so her brother still has to do all her character interaction for her.

2. Will the next project be a movie or a new TV show? Surprise answer! Neither! In all likelihood, the story is 100% over and done with. All lingering plot threads are dealt with or are forcibly removed.

3. "Forcibly removed?" Yeah. It's hard for dead characters to have subplots.

4. If there was a song to sum up the movie, would it be the theme song? I don't know if they even played "The Ballad of Malcolm Reynolds." My vote for appropriate song would be Korn's "Dead Bodies Everywhere."

5. Why? Reavers. Reaver victims. Operative victims. The aforementioned dead characters.

6. Is this the "River and Friends" movie or "Fun with Mal Reynolds?" Neither. The real workhorse of the movie is the main villain character known as The Operative (he doesn't have a name or a rank). This guy is a badass, has a wonderfully evil psychology, and single-handedly (in my opinion) carries the movie.

7. Why is he so evil? Because he believes. Also, if you're a Firefly fan, he performed an off screen Bookectomy. Which he has absolutely no remorse for. In fact, he flat out says he's evil after doing it. Very twisted. From this point, he was the reason I was still in the theater. Great character.

8. Are you saying the good Shepard Book dies? Thus proving he is the most superior of acting talents in the film.

9. What about Alan Tudyk? He's always great fun as Wash. Isn't he as good as or better than Ron Glass as far as perfomances go? Possibly. Alan Tudyk has been getting steady work. Steady work equals bigger paychecks.

10. What if you're wrong about there being no follow-up project? How will they compensate for that in the budget? It's no mistake this post has the title it does.

A final thought. Joss Whedon's feature directing style is very sleek and masterful. His editing and color filtering create a smooth aesthetic. On the other hand, his experience as a Hollywood script doctor shows. Script doctors fix scripts; if they write scripts, a different script doctor usuall gets called. Thus, if feel his feature writing is actually weak, especially compared to his TV or comic book writing. It is my opinion that instead of showing the movie off for 8 months, he should have cleaned up the script and filmed some pickups.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home