Monday, November 07, 2005

Barriers of Perception

I'm a stubborn person by nature. I don't necessarily dwell on things, but I can. It can make me determined and inspired. It can also make me irritated and evasive.

One of the things I'll do to deal with excess stress, is that I'll sparate out the stresses. Deal with one thing at a time, and everything becomes a lot simpler. Try to pile a bunch of little things up, and you'll explode. Try to pile up a bunch of big things, all that you get is devestation.

A couple of weeks ago, I rescheduled when I was going to discuss some things with my major professor, mainly because I was sick of dealing with the university and I wanted to leavel. OK, I was sick of having to write an exam by committee, and having the others try to write it behind my back. Anyway....

I've half-inadvertently dodged my major professor all semester. I didn't mean to do it, I didn't want to do it. I just didn't have anything pressing to discuss with him. Then, I had tons to do with teaching A&P. Next, I've got my loyalties to my friends, my students, my interests. I do a lot of things and I feel like I need to have something of a strong commitment to. Sometimes, when you do a lot, things get lost in the cracks.

This time around, I've managed to let communication with my major professor fall to nothing. My thesis is rabbits. He's more into squirrel stuff. He gets bombarded by e-mails constantly. He struggles to find time to write and work with his research. He has multiple classes to teach and multiple grad students to deal with (most of which work with squirrels). I don't want to get in his way.

Unfortunately, I need to touch base with him if nothing else. Actually, I need more. I'm running out of classes to take, I'm getting sick of school, my assisstantship is going to be winding down next semester, and I need to sort out my thesis. There's also departmental political bullshit games to play, one of the main reasons why I usually stay invisible within the department.

I need to talk to him and I'm afraid that he won't be in my corner anymore. This is the guy who recruited me to be a grad student in the first place. He's also the first, and maybe only, person who'll be able to take up for me when it comes time to defend my thesis publically. I need him on my side. If he's not, and if there's no chance of getting him back on my side, then I'm finished with being a grad student and everything that comes with it. There will be no one else who I will be able to turn to, no one else to guide me. There will be plenty of people who can grade me, but if those people aren't on my side, then I get a bad grade, or no grade.

3 Comments:

Blogger LEN! said...

I've sent my major professor an e-mail saying that I want to meet with him. In it, I asked for a good time to meet, as well as making the statement that I might try to drop by when I see an opportunity to do so.

Hopefully, he'll see it, read it, and tell me when to show up (or a good time to show up). In case you weren't able to tell before, this is the single thing that torments me currently. I haven't really even been able to write.

11/07/2005  
Blogger LEN! said...

Thought I'd say a little more on the subject, given that it's been a day. I haven't heard anything for my professor, but that doesn't surprise me. Between the large volume of e-mail he usually gets and my not demanding he reply, there really hasn't been ample opportunity to get a reply back from him. I'm thinking once I get done with my 8AM class, I'll hopefully find him in his office and speak with him then.

I agree with the madcackler--persistence is key.

11/08/2005  
Blogger LEN! said...

It's taken care of now. I sat down with my professor and discussed a few things with him. Things are still set up in such a way where I have to work autonomously, but that's mainly due to the nature of my thesis, not any lack of interest or access.

I do know this: The next few months should prove to be quite interesting as far as research goes.

11/08/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home