Sunday, February 10, 2008

Notes from Stacey's Wedding

My cousin Stacey got married this evening. It was a very nice ceremony, even though it was one of those long weddings--the ones that have a row of bridesmaids and groomsmen, along with three songs, a pillow boy (he doesn't have any rings), and a mess maker (the really little girl who dumps flower petals around for no good reason). I discovered several things that I feel I should point out.

The text on the back of the book is essential. I may be sci-fi oriented, but, just by using the back of the book, I might be able to draw interest for Vitamin F where I couldn't if it was slipped away in the science fiction section of a bookstore.

There's nothing wrong in telling others that I've written a novel. I realized this after I noted that I'd told my fifth grade teacher and a distant relative, even though I haven't told my own mom. I fixed that, but I didn't go into much detail because...

I'm not really proud of writing Vitamin F at this point. It's the whole issue of homosexuality combined with where my family lives. It's just not a good mix if you examine the book on a basic level. And if you're just joining us, I'm not gay.

I'm still jumping at shadows of my past. I've told the tale about the girl I like in high school before. Tonight, I saw someone on the staff at the reception that looked a lot like that girl. There was enough similarity that I asked my old classmates that were there to tell me if I was right or wrong.

"Oh, but you'll find the right girl someday." There was a sincerety with most of the people that said those words this evening, that I didn't feel like I was being slapped in the face by fate. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not, but I'm started to mellow on that topic. Maybe.

I may have more to tell later. For now, feel free to discuss.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should be extremely proud of writing Vitamin F. Sure, maybe the content may be a bit hard for people (in the region you grew up) to accept, but all in all you finished a long frickin' novel. That is more than most people ever do their entire lives, and you did it in under a year. I know I said it before, but I am very proud of you. And as far as people accepting it goes, they need to realize it is a work of fiction. I mean, people don't think Tolkien was actually a hobbit do they?

- Daniel

2/11/2008  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Besides, it's not as if you're writing about gay guys. You're writing about lesbians, that makes it alright. Dysfunctional, weird, but true.

2/16/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home