Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Why I Hate Infinite Crisis, Part 1

I know what you're thinking--I've been saying Infinite Crisis is good stuff and now I'm bashing it. Give me a minute and I'll explain.

I thought Infinite Crisis was going to be the culmination of a lot of little plot threads coming out of several books I read, among which is my favorite DC book, Wonder Woman. Greg Rucka did a remarkable thing; with assisstance from Dan Campisi, he got me to read about a character I had no interest in, then over time, make that character my favorite DC superhero. I was one of the first who agreed with Greg Rucka's affirmation that Diana was the "baddest motherfucker in the DC universe."

A little more than a month ago, when the first issue of Infinite Crisis came out, what did I see? Wonder Woman made this nice sweeping sword stroke that looked like she was going to kill Mongul. That's something a warrior would do, which is good because Diana is a warrior. However, at the end of the issue I saw the first thing I hate about Infinite Crisis.

The last page had a weird group of people on it. There was an old man dressed up as and claiming to be Superman. There was some guy in a gold metal leotard (*shudder*). There was someone's kindly 90-year-old grandma. There was a kid dressed up as Superman, but it couldn't be Superboy because he wears a black T-shirt and jeans as a costume. All these people are on a big splash page saying--YOU CARE ABOUT THESE PEOPLE AND KNOW WHO THEY ARE!

No, I don't.

To clarify, those people are Earth-2 Superman, Alexander Luthor, Earth-2 Lois Lane, and Superboy-Prime. They are the surviving heroes of Crisis on Infinite Earths, a really old crossover that sort of restarted the DC universe. These characters were put in a bubble because their worlds were dead. But I haven't read that story and I hear it's a task to get through. Still, I don't really care about what went on 20 years ago, especially when it has no bearing on modern stories at all.

Of course DC had to shove it down my throat. Thanks for proving that any comic company can fuck up. (I've been cussing up a storm already, so I see no need to hold back.)

Today, the second thing I hate about Infinite Crisis popped up. I get the Greg Rucka e-mail newsletter. In it he confirmed that Wonder Woman is cancelled. His run on that book is over. This is stemming from a certain crossover where a certain Amazon is on every chanel breaking a man's neck.

Let me elaborate why this is bad. First, it currently looks a lot like Greg Rucka's not writing the book any more (there's still a slight chance he'll write the new #1, because there'll be one). Following the trend from an old rumor, that means another writer will have a shot at writing Diana. Odds are, if someone else writes the character, all that good ambassador by day, warrior by night shit will be gone. It could go back to secret identities and twirling transformations and more happy-time 1970s bullshit.

I didn't know what to expect from Infinite Crisis initially, but I know that it had nothing at all to do with any dumbass Earth-2. I also wanted Greg Rucka to get what he wanted all along--to write Wonder Woman to his heart's content. So far, I'm not getting those things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home